Stainless Steel Coupling Gear Rigid Roller Chain Fluid Tyre Grid Jaw Spider HRC Nm Motor Flange Gear Pump Rubber Spline Shaft Flexible Universal Joint Coupling
Coupling refers to a device that connects 2 shafts or shafts and rotating parts, rotates together during the transmission of motion and power, and does not disengage under normal conditions. Sometimes it is also used as a safety device to prevent the connected parts from bearing excessive load, which plays the role of overload protection.
Couplings can be divided into rigid couplings and flexible couplings.
Rigid couplings do not have buffering property and the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes. It is required that the 2 axes be strictly aligned. However, such couplings are simple in structure, low in manufacturing cost, convenient in assembly and disassembly, and maintenance, which can ensure that the 2 axes are relatively neutral, have large transmission torque, and are widely used. Commonly used are flange coupling, sleeve coupling and jacket coupling.
Flexible coupling can also be divided into flexible coupling without elastic element and flexible coupling with elastic element. The former type only has the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, but cannot cushion and reduce vibration. Common types include slider coupling, gear coupling, universal coupling and chain coupling; The latter type contains elastic elements. In addition to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, it also has the functions of buffering and vibration reduction. However, due to the strength of elastic elements, the transmitted torque is generally inferior to that of flexible couplings without elastic elements. Common types include elastic sleeve pin couplings, elastic pin couplings, quincunx couplings, tire type couplings, serpentine spring couplings, spring couplings, etc
1) Mobility. The movability of the coupling refers to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 rotating components. Factors such as manufacturing and installation errors between connected components, temperature changes during operation and deformation under load all put CZPT requirements for mobility. The movable performance compensates or alleviates the additional load between shafts, bearings, couplings and other components caused by the relative displacement between rotating components.
(2) Buffering. For the occasions where the load is often started or the working load changes, the coupling shall be equipped with elastic elements that play the role of cushioning and vibration reduction to protect the prime mover and the working machine from little or no damage.
(3) Safe, reliable, with sufficient strength and service life.
(4) Simple structure, easy to assemble, disassemble and maintain.
How to select the appropriate coupling type
The following items should be considered when selecting the coupling type.
1. The size and nature of the required transmission torque, the requirements for buffering and damping functions, and whether resonance may occur.
2. The relative displacement of the axes of the 2 shafts is caused by manufacturing and assembly errors, shaft load and thermal expansion deformation, and relative movement between components.
3. Permissible overall dimensions and installation methods, and necessary operating space for assembly, adjustment and maintenance. For large couplings, they should be able to be disassembled without axial movement of the shaft.
In addition, the working environment, service life, lubrication, sealing, economy and other conditions should also be considered, and a suitable coupling type should be selected by referring to the characteristics of various couplings.
If you cannot determine the type, you can contact our professional engineer
Main production equipment:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, gear shaper, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, casting equipment, etc.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector, special detection, modular fixture (self-made), etc.
Application – Photos from our partner customers
Our leading products are mechanical transmission basic parts – couplings, mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings and other 3 categories of more than 30 series of varieties. It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
Our factory takes the basic parts of national standards as the benchmark, has more than 40 years of coupling production experience, takes “scientific management, pioneering and innovation, ensuring quality and customer satisfaction” as the quality policy, and aims to continuously provide users with satisfactory products and services. The production is guided by reasonable process, and the ISO9001:2015 quality management system standard is strictly implemented. We adhere to the principle of continuous improvement and innovation of coupling products. In recent years, it has successfully developed 10 national patent products such as SWF cross shaft universal coupling, among which the double cross shaft universal joint has won the national invention patent, SWF cross shaft universal coupling has won the new product award of China’s general mechanical parts coupling industry and the ZHangZhoug Province new product science and technology project.
Our factory has strong technical force, excellent process equipment, complete professional production equipment, perfect detection means, excellent after-sales service, various products and complete specifications. At the same time, we can provide the design and manufacturing of special non-standard products according to the needs of users. Our products sell well at home and abroad, and are trusted by the majority of users. We sincerely welcome friends from all walks of life at home and abroad to visit and negotiate for common development.p
Contribution of Jaw Coupling to Equipment Longevity
Jaw couplings play a vital role in enhancing the longevity and reliability of connected equipment in mechanical power transmission systems. The design and features of jaw couplings contribute to minimizing wear, reducing downtime, and protecting the equipment from harmful forces. Here’s how jaw couplings contribute to equipment longevity:
- Shock Absorption: Jaw couplings have elastomeric spider inserts that act as shock absorbers, dampening vibrations and impact loads. This helps in protecting the connected equipment from sudden shocks and extends its operational life.
- Misalignment Compensation: In real-world applications, shaft misalignment is common due to thermal expansion, machine settling, or manufacturing tolerances. Jaw couplings can tolerate a certain degree of misalignment, reducing stress on bearings, seals, and other components of the equipment.
- Overload Protection: During overloads or torque spikes, jaw couplings can flex slightly, absorbing excess torque and preventing damage to the equipment. This overload protection feature prevents catastrophic failures and extends the life of mechanical components.
- Backlash Reduction: Excessive backlash in a power transmission system can lead to inaccuracies in motion control and wear on components. Jaw couplings are designed to provide low backlash, enhancing precision and minimizing wear on gears and other sensitive parts.
- Resilience to Contaminants: Jaw couplings often feature enclosed designs that protect the elastomeric spider from contaminants like dust, dirt, and moisture. This helps in maintaining the coupling’s performance and preventing premature failure due to external elements.
- Low Maintenance: Compared to some other types of couplings, jaw couplings require minimal maintenance. Regular lubrication and inspection of the coupling can significantly extend its life and keep the connected equipment running smoothly.
- Easy Installation: The simple and compact design of jaw couplings makes them easy to install and integrate into various mechanical systems. Proper installation ensures efficient power transmission and reduces the chances of component damage.
Overall, jaw couplings contribute to equipment longevity by providing protection against shock loads, compensating for misalignment, preventing overloads, reducing backlash, and offering resilience to environmental factors. By selecting the right jaw coupling for the application and following proper maintenance practices, users can maximize the lifespan of connected equipment and improve the overall efficiency of their mechanical systems.
What are the common installation mistakes to avoid when using jaw couplings?
Proper installation of jaw couplings is crucial to ensure their reliable and efficient operation. Avoiding common installation mistakes can prevent premature wear, misalignment, and potential equipment damage. Here are some of the most common installation mistakes to avoid when using jaw couplings:
- Incorrect Coupling Size: Using the wrong size of jaw coupling for the application can lead to various issues. Undersized couplings may not handle the required torque, leading to early failure, while oversized couplings may result in increased rotational inertia and decreased system performance. Always ensure that the selected coupling is appropriate for the torque and power requirements of the equipment.
- Misalignment: Improper alignment of the shafts during coupling installation can cause excessive forces and premature wear on the coupling components. Angular, parallel, and axial misalignments should be minimized and kept within the manufacturer’s recommended tolerances. Consider using alignment tools and techniques to achieve accurate shaft alignment.
- Over-Tightening: Applying excessive torque when tightening the coupling elements can lead to deformation of the elastomer spider or damage to the hubs. Over-tightening can also increase friction and cause premature wear. Follow the manufacturer’s specified torque values during installation to ensure proper clamping without causing damage.
- Lack of Lubrication: Some jaw couplings require lubrication to reduce friction and wear. Neglecting to lubricate the coupling elements can lead to increased friction, higher operating temperatures, and reduced coupling life. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines regarding lubrication intervals and types of lubricants to use.
- Failure to Inspect Components: Before installation, carefully inspect all coupling components for any signs of damage, wear, or defects. Using a damaged or worn-out elastomer spider or other components can compromise the coupling’s performance and reliability. Replace any worn or damaged parts before installing the coupling.
- Improper Shaft End Preparation: Ensure that the shaft ends are clean, smooth, and free from burrs or imperfections before installing the coupling. Rough or uneven shaft surfaces can lead to misalignment and reduce coupling performance. Properly clean and prepare the shaft ends to ensure a secure and accurate fit.
- Not Following Manufacturer’s Guidelines: Each jaw coupling has specific installation instructions provided by the manufacturer. Failure to follow these guidelines can result in coupling failure or reduced performance. Always refer to the manufacturer’s installation manual and recommendations for proper installation procedures.
By avoiding these common installation mistakes, users can maximize the performance and longevity of jaw couplings in their applications. Proper installation ensures that the coupling operates efficiently, transmits power effectively, and reduces the risk of unexpected failures or downtime.
Use of Jaw Couplings in Various Industries for Power Transmission
Jaw couplings are widely used in different industries for power transmission due to their many advantages, including their ability to handle misalignment, shock loads, and vibrations. Some of the industries that commonly use jaw couplings include:
- Manufacturing: Jaw couplings are extensively used in manufacturing machinery such as conveyors, mixers, and packaging equipment.
- Automotive: In the automotive industry, jaw couplings are employed in various applications, including engine-driven accessories and conveyor systems in assembly lines.
- Agriculture: Farming equipment, such as tractors and harvesting machines, often use jaw couplings to transmit power from the engine to different attachments.
- Material Handling: Jaw couplings are found in material handling equipment like forklifts, cranes, and hoists.
- Water and Wastewater: Pumps and compressors used in water and wastewater treatment plants frequently utilize jaw couplings for power transmission.
- Food and Beverage: Jaw couplings are used in food processing machinery where cleanliness, reliability, and flexibility are essential.
- Textile: Textile manufacturing equipment, such as looms and spinning machines, often use jaw couplings to transmit power from motors to various components.
- Packaging: Packaging machines and equipment benefit from jaw couplings’ ability to absorb shocks and vibrations.
- Printing: Printing presses and related machinery commonly use jaw couplings for their precise power transmission.
These are just a few examples, but jaw couplings are found in numerous other industries where power transmission and motion control are critical aspects of the equipment’s operation. Their ease of installation, maintenance, and high-performance capabilities make them a popular choice for a wide range of applications.
editor by CX 2023-08-15